|Configuring Browser for Aplus|
|Written by Administrator|
|Friday, 05 November 2010 01:00|
Question: How do I properly configure my workstation for use with the A+LS browser software?
In order for the A+nywhere Learning System software to run properly on your computer, your internet browser, proxy server and content filter must be configured appropriately.
Many schools limit the network rights of students and teachers, so that changing internet browser settings is not possible, or they use software that prevents changes from being made permanently. We high recommend that school's Network Administrator or IT staff make the following adjustments so that these settings will be in place whenever a teacher, student or administrator of the Aplus program log onto the computer.
Chaching, Privacy, and Security Settings
1) Launch Internet Explorer.
2) From the Internet Explorer toolbar at the top of the window, select Tools>Internet Options.
3) In the Internet Options window, select the General tab. On the General tab, under Browsing History, click the Setting button.
4) In the Settings window that appears, make sure that Check for Newer Versions of Stored Pages is set to Every Time I Visit the Webpage. Click OK when finished.
5) In the Internet Options window, select the Privacy tab. In the Settings area, make sure that the Privacy setting is set to Medium.
6) Click on the Secuity Tab, then click the button labeled Custom Level.
7) From the window that appears, scroll down until you find the heading labeled Scripting (it is almost all the way at the bottom). Find the entry labeled Active Scripting and set it to enabled. Just below that, find the entry labeled Allow Status Bar Updates via Script and set it to Enabled. Don't click OK, there is one more option to set.
8)Scroll down slightly until you see the entry labeled Scripting of Java Applets. Set it to Enabled, and click OK when finished.
Enabling Active X
1) Lanch Internet Explorer.
2) From the IE toolbar at the top of the window, select Tools>Manage Add-ons the Manage Add-ons window will appear. Click on Currently Loaded add-ons and select All add-ons from the dropdown menu.
3) Scroll down through the list until you see Windows Meida Player, highlight it and select Enable, click Close when finished.
Installing the Flash Plug-in
Some instructions in A+LS use the Flash plug-in to deliever instructional content to the user. Go to http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about to see if the Flash plug-in is currently installed on the computer's web browser and install it if needed.
Exempting Proxy Servers and Content Filters for A+LS
The school's Proxy Server must be set to not cache web pages coming from A+LS servers. Also, the school's Content filter must not filter content coming from A+LS servers. Exempting the address www.aec.aplusanywhere.com, www.alsdlp.com, and school.eb.com using port 80 should take care of this. In the vent that you need specific IP address or other information about this, please contact the VPL helpdesk.